Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Aspirations for 2016





I feel like for a New Year, there should be all sorts of new and different kinds of things one has goals or plans for. As I looked back over the previous year's goals/plans/aspirations (word choice depending on my mood :-) , I can see that there hasn't been a whole lot of change.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have been reasonably successful at most of my goals. They have provided me with focus, been achieved, and helped me be somewhat ready for the money issues that come my way.

So my aspirations for 2016, money, and otherwise, are not terribly earth shattering. Just a plan to follow... a path to lead me on my journey.



1) Summer 2016 - $1000
This lets me enjoy my time off, knowing there is money there for camping, and other things that may come my way

2) Back to School - $500
Just me...so this goes for my professional fees, some back to school clothes and maybe something for my classroom

3) Christmas - $1500
So nice to have this money saved and not be terrified of Christmas bills

4) Vehicle Plates - $1200
This is for DS's car. Once he is done school and working, this bill will be his, so in a couple years this won't be part of my planned spending (fingers crossed)

5) College LOC - Get it under $10 000
I will keep whittling at this. I save each month for college. Reality is that the costs, plus the US dollar, is a bit like trying to bail out a boat leak with a thimble. I will keep at it though. I hate that I pay interest on this each month.



Ok the following two I am not even sure about. Yes saving for retirement is super important. Is the bit that I get  in interest  or from the tax refund for the RRSP worth it? Or would I be better putting the money I would normally put towards TFSA and RRSP  do better if I slammed it on my college LOC?  or buying US dollars for DS1?

My mental jury is still out on these two.


6) RRSP - $1000

7) TFSA - $1000




And then the personal ones.

8) Lose 3 lbs per month
I am overweight obese. I have to move. I have to lose. I have to.

9) Do something outside of the box each month
I am in a rut. I work. I do my extra curricular. I come home, make supper, do dishes, mark and sit. Most of the time. ok. almost all the time. This is not how I want to spend my next forty years.

10) Read 20 books this year.
I really dropped off the reading in 2015. I honestly was just rereading old books, that I did not put on my reading list page. They were comforting. They were easy. They helped me through some quiet in the house months. I would love to pick this back up again. Maybe even challenge myself to some 'thinking' books.

11) Move at least 20 min x 6 days a week
This ties into #8. My treadmill is back up and running (will write about this in another post). It lets me walk at my own pace, in chunks if need be, and I don't have to leave the house. Time for it to be more than a place to dry my clothes.

That's it for me.  Bring on 2016. (be gentle with me 2016? ok?)

7 comments:

Hawaii Planner said...

Great goals! Not sure if it's in the budget, but what about signing up for a super inexpensive fitness class? I"m thinking of something like through a local park & rec. Maybe yoga, pilates, aerobics, or even something more "out of the box" like Zumba? Would tick off your "out of the rut" & fitness goals? I also bought myself a coloring book after Christmas, which I'm planning to add to my evening "relaxing" options. :-)

Jane said...

I had the same idea as Hawaii Planner lol! Combining the "out of the box experience" with your fitness goals. I don't know what's available where you live but making exercise FUN does help a person stay committed. Good luck - oh, and by the way, I think it's still good to save a little (RRSP & TFSA) while you're paying down debt.

Jolie said...

Great minds think alike hey you two? :-) I sure hope I can get to that point.

Right now with colitis the way it is, out in public isn't really an option. TMI Ex - today it took me 30 min to do 20 min on the treadmill as I had to run (I do mean run) to the bathroom 3x.

One day!

The Asian Pear said...

The TFSA vs RRSP debate kinda depends on the vehicle you choose to put your TFSA and/or RRSP. Does the $1K even bring you to a lower tax bracket? Because if not, it might not be that worth it. Especially the way the Canadian dollar is sliding... You might want to keep it as part of TFSA for a rainy day?

Good luck with your goals! One of my goals is fitness/weightloss too. Let's do it together Jolie! p'-'q

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hmmm...I think Blogger ate my comment the first time I tried to post it...anyway, I agree with Jane in that I think saving along with paying down debt is a good idea - even a little. As for exercise, I think 20-30 mins a day on the treadmill is a good goal. Moving some is better than not moving at all, and you may find that you can add a minute or two a week before needing the bathroom. Can you read while you work out at all? Regardless, I think your goals are great and I'm looking forward to following your achievements again this year! xx

Saskatchewan Savings said...

Awesome goals for 2016! Just to put in my two cent: I agree with Asian Pear: does the $1000 RRSP make a big difference with your taxes? Either way I think it is smart to keep paying yourself and keeping those savings habits established.

As for working out; I know you go to the library a lot and you can borrow workout DVDs from there. I'm not comfortable going to local classes but I've checked out a few different workout DVD's thru the library (some not so good, some really good) but that could be a way of trying different kinds of work outs & best of all - doing it for free :D

Jolie said...

Thank you all for your advice. Sounds like if I have to choose, this year anyways, TFSA is the way to go.

NLA = I am grateful for the treadmill. It is working now and if I have to hop off to...... I can get right back on again. I can't read while I am walking. My eyes have decided it's time to start changing :-)

SS - Once I am in the groove, I will have to check out the library and see if DH can hook up the DVD player downstairs. Not much space to move there but I could probably make it work.