As we wait for spring to arrive, the end of the year is popping up and letting us know it's en route.
Last week DS1 and I headed over to buy his prom tickets. 8 in all. DS and escort, DH and myself, Gram and Gramps, 1 for a friend and 1 for his cousin. That was a happy $240. I will get reimbursed for the friend ticket but the rest are on us. It is a big grr to pay for 2 tickets for my parents for the whole hour they will be there to watch the grand march as the grads and their escorts. Ah well. It's important to my mom so it shall be. That's what I saved the money for - and happy I am that I did.
We went yesterday to buy DS's grad suit/tie etc. The gentleman who comanages the store has known DS forever and coached him in the past so it was easy to go do this. He knew DS's size and preferences. He knew which suits friends of DS had bought already. There was one lady and her son ahead of us and I overheard her saying "I know we need to do this but it bugs me to pay $$$ for a suit when you'll wear it for grad and maybe a funeral or wedding." I completely understood what she was saying. For us, DS wears a suit all the time for hockey so it will definitely get a lot more use than the average grad. He has had the same one for 2 years now so it will be nice to have a new one to alternate with. He looked very handsome in it, if I do say so myself.
I told DS he needs to start saving for a few of his own expenses, such as the wrist corsage for his escort. I loved watching the puzzlement on his face as I explained what that was. Welcome to adulthood m'boy :-)
Not Much Working Out Monday
2 hours ago
7 comments:
Wow, have NEVER heard of family members attending a/the prom. Is that the norm in Canada?
Around here....yes. Can't speak for the rest of the nation. For my 9 nieces and nephews through their variety pack of schools they graduated from, parents are always required and family optional.
DH and I are required to be there or DS may not attend. My parents will go for an hour or so to see the Grand March of Grads with their escorts then they will take off. The friend is a hockey player who is here during the year but goes home when the season is done - but is friends with many of the grads.
Prom tickets? For the family?
I have never heard of that before. O__O? What's the "Grand March"?
That's at the start of the prom where the grads and their escorts are announced and walk across the stage and through an arch. A chance to see everyone and photo ops
Interesting...around here parents don't go to the prom but we are invited to pre-prom parties hosted by a few parents. I went to Kazi's pre-prom party so was happy to be able to take lots of photos of her and her girlfriends in their gorgeous girlfriends as well as the young men all dolled up, some for the first time!
Around here, parents take photos at their house(s). Again, wow, no teenagers today and/or yesterday would have ever wanted their parents at the prom.
the prom is put on by a parent committee, not the school. Parents/guardians must be present for their child to attend. :-)
Post a Comment