Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I spoke too soon

Am writing early from work. sighhhhh

Right after I posted Saturday, my laptop crashed. Major 'critical error' warnings flashed across my screen and some odd 'scan me ' system advisory. It shut down my computer. When I went to turn it on again, everything was black on the desktop and nothing would open.

Beginnings of it were on my desktop downstairs so I shut that down. I took my laptop over to where I usually go get it fixed. Closed on Saturdays. So were my two back up places. This is new. What kind of office depot store isn't open on Saturdays??

So my last choice was staples. They took it in, sold me some antivirus software and I got to pick it up on Monday after work. the software was good for 3 computers so I went to go install it on my desktop. the disk would load but when I went to click on install, nothing happened. I could click all day and none of the parts of the disk would open. grrr

So last night I  bravely turnh on my laptop for the firs time. All my icons on my desktop are gone. All my items on my start button are gone and all my favourites are gone. I 'find' internet explorer and it slowly opens. I check email. Check my blog and then begin to try to find some of my missing favourites. I located a few PF blogs and add them to favourites. I go to one whose topic is about a virus on her computer. I feel a sisterhood connection. As the entry opens up, my screen is full of the same warnings as Saturday. The new antivirus kicks in and I try desperate to x out the false warning windows opening across my screen. They open faster than I can close them.

My anti virus takes 45 min to get to 1% scanned and the whole system crashes and shuts down. 

I have no idea if this came from that site.

My anti virus says it will need 2 days to fully scan. How ridiculous is that? Everytime my computer goes inactive, the scanning stops.  I can't access my timings on sleep mode and screen saver to change those.

This morning the only thing I could open is my antivirus (Kaspersky). After three hours of diligently moving the mouse so that the scanning continues. it is at 5% scanned.

I am very frustrated and I hate that I know squat about computers in these situations.

anyhoo...that's where i am these days.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

That is so frustrating! Luckily my husband knows how to fix the computer..I'm completely illiterate when it comes to computer maintenance, etc.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon!

AprilPhire04 said...

Get Malware Bytes and Ad Aware (free trial downloads available, I think). It'll take away most of the malware and allow the antivirus to do its job. Your files and settings are probably safely hidden out of sight.

The last time I saw this, it took me three tries to clean up a computer, and it hit three computers! Good Luck on it.

The Lost Goat said...

I recommend F-Secure for AV and malware. It costs money, but it works. Hope your computer problems get straighted out soon.

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

You need to reinstall the system, do you have the discs that came with it? only a fresh install will take care of those issues. Also back up all data out of it.

HS

Jolie said...

thanks everyone

Right now I can't open up anything except the antivirus program. If I do a search to 'find' internet explorer (since all my icons on desktop and start are gone), IE tries desperately to start but never actually can open.

HS - reinstalling the system is out of my scope of understanding and ability. Give me thirty 14 years olds and I thrive - computer details and I develop a twitch above my right eye LOL

Niki said...

I am sorry. I also have very limited computer knowledge. I know I am super lucky to have a husband and father who can fix computers. There is a trade off my husband doesn't know how to fix much else in our home. I really don't mean that to be as mean as it sounds, he just is not a handyman.

Hope you get it working properly soon.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Oooh..sorry about that. that's the worst thing for your computer to crash!

Green said...

That's a bummer. Hope you get everthing taken care of:)

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Do any of your 14 year olds know how to run the software? You'd be surprised how much some know. Or do you have a tech person at your school?

Hopefully it can work out! If you have to buy a new computer (don't hate me) I would suggest a Mac. I used to have PCs and had virus problems that drove me crazy. Macs don't get viruses. Yes, they're more expensive, but I've had mine for five years with no problems that weren't under warranty at the apple store. I'll never go back.

But like I said, I hope it can be fixed!

Krystin said...

I agree with April Fire. I used to work with end user support and about 75% of my job was sitting in front of a computer and getting rid of exactly what you have.

MalwareBytes was the program of choice for me. IF you can get it to load and update. Some Malware will prevent it from loading or working.
If you can, just let it scan, scan again, and scan again.

Jane said...

Hmmmmm I think Staples didn't do you any favours! I think you need to march your laptop right back to them and tell them this is a "do over"! in your sternest teacher voice!