Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

Definitely not flying

It's getting close to family weekend down for DS's hockey team. This will be our third trip down.

The past two years we have flown. Last year, I bought our tickets on August 16th for $547 each. Family weekend was at the end of October.

This year, it's at the end of September and what a dif the price is. I have been tracking prices since May and they are astonishing. They started out at just under $1000 each, which I was significantly more than last year. I thought they would drop. Nope. They maxed out at $1800 each for the same flight (about 6 weeks ago)  at the same time of day with the same airline. Over 3 x the price per ticket compared to last year.

The one month earlier is part of it. But should it be THAT much different?

We are even leaving on a Thurs and returning on a Monday. No Fri, Sat or Sun flights.

As of this morning, the best flight time is not listed anymore. The less optimal time is $1100 per ticket with 2 stops and crazy lay overs.

So drive we shall. 17 hours. x 2

I am very concerned about colitis needs across the long stretches without a small town (bathroom). It pretty much means I can't eat or drink during the journey.

We will add one extra  hotel night on the way down but will be powering home the last day. I will be exhausted going back to work the next day.

It will be interesting to see what gas costs for the journey. Certainly less than the $2000+ the tickets would be.  But we did have to take an extra day off work.

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

I will send good vibes for a good trip down... I have issues too in the car and know what it's like when you desperately need a bathroom.

Have fun with your family :)

Nd.chic said...

Can you stop at my house? I might be on the way :)

Jolie said...

CS - thanks so much. DH has been supportive of my worries. surprised me even :-)

ND - we probably are.... minot, grand forks and onwards until my derriere goes numb lol

Jane said...

Holy moly that is expensive! I flew to Ireland and back for far less. Drive you shall indeed! Though yes, that presents its own issues. I really hope and pray you find enough rest stops along your route!