Sometimes I mourn for the way things used to be. Then I remember that it wasn't really 'me' who experienced the good old days, but my older sisters. By the time I came around, we had moved from the farm into town and we didn't get to the simple farm community experiences.
A couple hours from here is a small, former 'regional park'. It was closed a good 10 years ago and is now privately owned. It was at these little parks in the middle of nowhere, that countless weekends of summer fun used to take place.
The people who now own the land spent a good couple months hacking away at overgrown campsites and cleaning the place up for what they hope will become an annual event. It was a mini, small town SK sports and music festival. Campers descended upon this 'good old days' park, brining with them 12 slowpitch teams and a 24 beach volleyball teams for a weekend of sports fun. The ball diamonds did not look like they had been dormant for a decade. Vehicles jammed in to watch the games, or to listen to the half dozen little bands that had been booked to come in. There was even a food truck there with some amazing food. Good, simple fun without flashy toys or fancy cabins.
DS went with his girlfriend and her brother, and joined in their slow pitch team. I had never been to this little spot on the prairies before and it took a good while to find it. Back road upon back road. Blink and you'll miss it. For a kid who never played ball growing up, He did well. Hit a few home runs andmade some visually interesting catches. DH and I drove down and visited with DS's 'mother in law' while we watched the games.
We didn't stick around for the bands or the beer garden. I fear I have aged out of that. I wish I had had experiences like that when I was their age.
Not Much Working Out Monday
2 hours ago
2 comments:
That sounds like a ton of fun! I wish we still had those kind of events around here
The simple times are the best! The baseball diamond where I spent my youth no longer exists :(
Post a Comment