Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Making less per month now

So Januarys are often the only month I truly know what I make in take home dollars.  Well January to June can often be, but I use January as my base.

In the summer my cheques are different because some of the work deductions are only for 10 months.

In September, if there is a pay increase, it starts here.

In Sept to Dec - I have maxed out my EI and CPP contributions and my cheques are a bit more.

So January to January is my base. We have been without a contract for 18 months now so there has been no increase, but there HAS been a decrease.

From Jan  2013 to Jan 2014  my monthly take home was $10 less. Some deductions went up and some went down and I netted $10 less.

From Jan 2014 to Jan 2015 my monthly take home was $59 less.  Again some went up and down.

Now a bit of the missing take home went towards an increase in my pension fund that automatically comes out. and I know that's good.

I'm not complaining because I have a job and I know four people, my brother in law included, who have lost long term jobs in northern alberta due to the crashing oil prices. (in the last week)

I'm not complaining because I am happy I have some money going into a pension. I know full well if it weren't taken off by my employer and redirected towards a pension plan, I wouldn't have squat saved.

Just feels weird to have less to work with monthly when my salary hasn't changed.

Off to my budget to trim $59.

6 comments:

~Carla~ said...

Seems to be the way things work.... everything goes up but paychecks! We've adjust to lower income over the last year and crazy increasing prices of hydro here, rent, etc... hoping our move makes our budget a little more flexible over the next year! :) Good luck trimming your budget!

SAM said...

I'm now maxed out on salary so no raises in future unless my range is examined. Where will you make adjustments? Our benefits fortunately didn't increase so net about same but need to plan ahead for when we are socked again with premium increases.

Jolie said...

I could cut my WW online. It is $22 a month and I use it off and on, but havent' been devoted. Hate to give it up as it would feel like I have quit trying to lose weight and I NEED to lose.

but am I really using it now? or just the illusion of it?

Jolie said...

Oh good. I opened my SHAW direct bill and see that went up a $1 and change as well. lol

FoodAndFrugal said...

I feel your pain. I usually max out my EI and CPP in the early summer, and enjoy the additional ~$200 on every paycheque. It was a shock to get the first January paycheque and see that it was about $200 less than what I was enjoying for the past 5-6 months!

The Asian Pear said...

Ah. I know this feeling well too. :(