Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Brrrrr

Well the week has started off with a bang. It's -33C out and with the wind it's something like -46C.  DH and I had our vehicle plugged in all last night otherwise they wouldn't start today. I switched my plug in to DS2's car when I left so hopefully there is enough time for his to warm up before he goes. We only can plug in two or we blow the breakers. Ahhh gotta love old, limited wiring. It needs to be upgraded but of course there are $$ attached to it. I wonder how  much a night of plugging in costs? I am afraid of the answer. We tried a timer once and it kept blowing the breakers as well :-)

With this weather some kids may not come to school. We aren't a big bussing school like some of our sister schools are. Those schools, on days like today, operate at 50 to 70 % attendance. We will have fewer gone. It also means inside recesses all day.  I had a parent once say "so what's the big deal? I keep my kids in on cold days?" I laughed and said "do they get squirrelly?" "oh yes" she said, "a bit"..... "multiply that by 300", I smiled. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH was her reply.    lol of course you have to keep them in. It's just not safe for them outside in this weather, though there will be some who beg to go out.

For some mysterious, magical reason, I seem to have a pulled groin muscle (says google). It started on Saturday morning and progressively got worse. I can't lift my leg up into my vehicle (or the couch, or the bed, or stairs) without hoisting it by the pant leg and aching in pain. Should prove to be an interesting week at work.   If it gets worse I'd like to take a day or two off to rest it, but I am having trouble finding substitute (supply) teachers who are willing to come into my room. I have had to cancel 2 appointments in the past 2 weeks as I could not find a replacement. fun fun fun :-)

I feel very out of the loop as I didn't really catch up on housework and laundry over the weekend. machines are in the basement and getting down there and back up was tough. Perhaps tonight will be a better night for it after staff meeting and getting DS2 home from curling, fed and off to work.


I greatly enjoyed my borrowed disk 1 of season 1 of Bones, from the library on the weekend. I wanted to go right back and get the next one, but that is silly. other things have to get done around the  house and work too.

I hope you are all keeping warm today if cold weather has come your way. I will happily send this weather on if anyone wants to share :-)

Happy Monday all

9 comments:

Hawaii Planner said...

Oh my, the kids do get crazy squirrely when trapped inside, so wishing you much luck at school this week! Stay warm - that sounds absolutely frigid.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Yikes! Cold mornings like that are the worst! Hope it warms up for you soon. Our frigid temps are over now (fingers crossed!) and we're at a far more reasonable -16C this morning. Re: pulled groin muscle. Are you sure it's your groin? I had a similar sounding issue last year and it turned out the problem was a nerve in my spine that affected my hip/groin/entire left leg. I thought it was the groin as well and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd done. It took a massage therapist to figure it out. It was my L2 vertebra. Check it out with someone.

~Carla~ said...

*Faint* You win!! Please keep those temps in your neck of the woods... ;) lol!

Softie said...

If that leg/muscle problem keeps up you better get it checked. Dr. Google is not always accurate, lol. Are you responsible to find/provide your own subs? That would be horrible. Here if we call in and use a sick day that is the administrators job to find the substitute. Usually they have lists of willing subs. I hat the cold. I really don't think I would be very good at living as far North as your place.You are all amazingly hardy up there I think. I hope you have a good day at school and your leg feels better soon.

Jolie said...

No I am guessing on the groin. Along with google I asked the two kids on DS's team who have groin injuries what it feels like. Could also be arthrtis in the cold :-)

Carla - I don't want to win. Honest I don't. You can. I will let you :-)

Softie - yup for our school we call unless we are incapacitated. many of our subs are retired teachers who are smart and away somewhere warm this time of year lol

Cash Only Living said...

I had to look at the temperature twice! I can't even imagine what -30+ degrees would feel like!

The Asian Pear said...

omg... Toronto was -27C today. And I went to work with hoisery, tights and pants plus 3 tops. I can't imagine going out in that temperature. O_O; Can you even start your car at that temperature? O_O;;

Better get that leg checked just in case!

Rose said...

I was thinking of you as I watched the news this week. I have been visiting my gramma here in Southern Ontario, and wow, can you say cold?! It was 5 above at home this week! Sure hope I don't bring the cold weather west today!

Louise said...

can you send a bit of that weather to me? LOL!

rest up and take it easy with that pulled muscle