Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

thankful for copays

Yesterday I popped over to renew my prescriptions and was crossing my fingers that DH's insurance for his new job is finally validated by mine. It takes a long time for paperwork from one company to get to the other so they are all on board. I was pleased that it was all  done.

I am currently on two dif meds for my colitis. Together, without insurance, the meds would have come to $223.78 for about 3 weeks worth of pills. I was happy to only have to pay a grand total of $10.01 for them both.

I have to admit that when none of us was on meds, I kind of took that insurance plan for granted. Now that three of the four of us are on something, it resonates home on how lucky we are to have this boost.

When I was redoing my budget, I forgot to put $ aside for this so I need to do that so it's ready to go for my end of June paycheque.

5 comments:

~Carla~ said...

I couldn't agree more!! My inhaler is $170/month, hubby's meds are close to $200/month when you add in his allergy meds.. Having insurance of some kind is a huge blessing!!

Maureen said...

The price on The Foxx's medication is a little over $5,000 for a month's worth of tablets. We are very lucky that The Australian Government pays for most of this so we never feel the need for Insurance.
Congratulations to you for thinking ahead it has paid off for your family.....

Cash Only Living said...

I can't believe how much medications cost! Like you, I rarely need meds but when I do I am super glad we have low co-pays for the pharmacy!

Anonymous said...

yes, good benefit to have. One thing that always drove me nuts was that my ex and I were employed by the same company, so we couldn't double dip. a friend who's husband works at the mill, she can claim xxx on her benefits, he claims xxx. when we got my daughter's braces, we only had one claim to make, so we had to shell out a ton of our own. I know, a first world problem. but still makes you go hmmmmm

Jane said...

My benefits are paying for Kazi's eye exam and contact lenses on Thursday. Otherwise she'd be out over $200! She's a little worried however as in one more year she won't be a student anymore and will not be covered by my insurance.