I was fortunate enough to have the day off....and SMART enough (two weeks ago) to book time with two folks at the bank for appointments. It's rare that both those things occur LOL
I accomplished four things today:
1) I took the $1500 I had saved over the past year and applied that to my RRSPs. That gives me a teeny lil amount of $2500 in there, but it's better than the $0 I had in there this time last year.
2) I filled in the paperwork to start a TFSA with our local credit union. The interest rate is 1.25%. That is not the 2% I know some online banks offer but I am just not familiar enough with things and confident enought o venture to a bank I cannot actually go to and see. I popped the $2000 I had in my savings for EF into this. One of the downsides of this is that if I need the money for a true Emergency, I have to go to the bank to fill in a paper to get it.
3) I finally changed over my basic savings to a High Interest Savings. I use the word "high" loosely as it is only at 1%. But it is infinitely better than the 0.150% that the 'regular' savings was getting. I closed out the 'old' savings account
4) The bad news is that there is only the $1000 of my Christmas savings and the $275 of my summer 2011 savings in that account now after everything else was moved out.
Not bad for 37 minutes of actual 'in bank' time. LOL
now onward to my day off. wheeeee
Not Much Working Out Monday
3 hours ago
5 comments:
I think having your Emergency fund in the TFSA is a good thing. Especially if you have to fill out paper work to get at it. This should really reduce temptation to use it for pseudo emergencies that aren't really emergencies.
regards,
Jason
That all sounds VERY productive, good for you! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day :-)
That was pretty quick - you have renewed my faith in banks. Which is fairly ironic when you consider I worked for the Royal Bank for 14 years before becoming a teacher lol! I still prefer the convenience of online banking however.
hope you enjoyed your day off! looks like it was productive for sure ;) it is nice to call a day productive after just a few minutes... I got to do that onFriday too - we were changing dentists & I finally got a new one set up and our first appointments booked, so I got to chalk the whole day up to successful!!!
Well done on your financial accomplishments, what an awesome position to be in.
Post a Comment