Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2008

This van may be the financial death of me

The night before I left for the week away with my son my power steering line decided it was tired and did not want to work anymore. It was leaking everywhere! The timing was so not in my favour as I was leaving right after noon the next day. We managed to pull in a favour and get my van into the shop early the next morning.

Shortly before noon the damage was complete. $142.52. I certainly hadn't budgeted for that but breaking down 4 hours from home wouldn't have been a picnic either. It went on the MC, which was only the first of many expenses to go on there from our week away.

I broke down and sent a small vase of flowers to the lady who squeezed us in at the autobody shop. This is the second 'squeezing in' she's done for me since start of summer and I believe it was necessary to show my gratitude. Another $23.75 goes down on MC.

I have reached a point where this van is really starting to cost me. Between necessary new tires, the two trips to the autobody shop and repair of rack and pinion it has cost me over $1000. That is about the same amount the car lot would give me on a trade in.

I don't have the money for a new vehicle payment yet continuing to pay for repairs is foolish too.

1 comment:

Cookbook Queen said...

I feel your pain. I just posted on this over at my blog. We are probably buying a new car this weekend. I feel bad having to finance a car but at the same time, I don't want to buy a used car that may or may not be unreliable (and end up costing thousands more to fix). After weighing the pros and cons, we decided to buy new. Hopefully this will last us another 10 years!